Thursday, April 23, 2015

Student's Respond to All Types of Music!

            As I began chapter five in Music Learning Today, I really enjoyed the opening story about Elizabeth and her difficulties inspiring the general music class to be interested in music. When I first started teaching I also felt lost about how to keep the students interested in playing their instruments. Much like Elizabeth in the text, I started off by force-feeding the students songs from the method book. Many of the students enjoyed the method book music, but several students did not enjoy playing, as they called it, “lame” or “corny” music. I was a new teacher and I was desperate not to lose numbers in the band program in my first year. I asked other teachers in the district what they tried to help with this problem and they suggested I ask the students what types of music they enjoy. Most of the students enjoyed pop or rap music. In 2011, one of the top pop songs was “Dynamite” by Tao Cruiz. It is a catchy song with simple notes and rhythms. I found an easy arrangement of this piece and the students went crazy over it! They absolutely loved this song and when we performed it at the concert, the entire audience was singing along and gave the band a cheering standing ovation. It was one of my most proud moments as a teacher and also something I don’t think those students or I will never forget.
            How students respond to music depends on many aspects such as family background, favorite type of music, exposure to different genres of music and so on. I know many of my students listen to music on a daily basis through their smart phones or ipods. Most of my students enjoy pop, rap, R&B, and gospel, however if I mention a famous composer such as Chopin, Haydn, or even Bach most students do not have any idea who I am talking about. YouTube has been a fantastic resource for me to be able to introduce students to famous composers. For example, one of the most popular songs among the students in the method book is an excerpt from Haydn’s Surprise Symphony. With YouTube I can just look this piece up and instantly play it for my students, and my students enjoy hearing the “real” version of a song they are learning.
Also with YouTube I have been able to look up videos about certain musical techniques that I want to demonstrate to the students. A student asked me about vibrato on a violin once, so I looked up a video on how to produce vibrato on a violin and showed it to the class. I really liked the assignment this week about making our own tutorials. I chose to demonstrate how to assemble a clarinet, which would be an early lesson in my beginning band class. After submitting my tutorial, I thought about how easy it would be to make these tutorials for every instrument, then instruct the students to watch them as part of their homework assignment. This would help students remember how to assemble instruments, or perform other tasks, while they were practicing at home and aren’t able to ask me questions.
Spotify is another resource to look up almost any piece or composer and create a play list to share with your students. Unfortunately for me, I found out this week while attempting to work on my Spotify project that Spotify is among the list of restricted websites on my school’s network. I cannot access certain websites at my schools due to restrictions for children, and Spotify is part of the restricted websites. I am assuming this is because music with explicit language is on this website and the schools do not want students accessing this during school hours.
I was happy to see the textbook discuss the importance of understanding music in order for it to be appreciated. I have always tried to make sure that all the students know how to read their music and learn the notes of the staff. So many students get away with not knowing how to read their music because their teacher just writes the letters above all the notes. This is a practice that I try to use as little as possible, and mainly with students with special needs that participate in band. Just this little amount of theory can increase a students understanding of even basic pieces of music. The text mentions games and apps that use music theory, and I would be very interested to explore some of these to see if there would be anything age appropriate for my beginning students. If there is a usable game available for elementary school children it would be great to use a projector and play the game as a whole class. I may possibly use this idea at the end of the school year after I collect the instruments, but still need material for lessons.

It’s important to listen to your students to learn what learning styles they have and what would work best for the class. Every student responds to music, no matter what genre, in a different way. Finding a healthy balance between “fun” and learning is the best way to connect with students in general, instrumental, or vocal music. This is my way of thinking every year so that I can keep the students in band and continue to improve the instrumental program.

No comments:

Post a Comment